Title: ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT/ATTENDANCE SECRETARY
Reports to: Principal, Athletic Director, and Attendance Officer
Job Objectives: Performs secretarial duties for the athletic department. Prepares and maintains student attendance records. Provides administrative support services necessary for the effective management of the athletic program and attendance activities.
Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent and a satisfactory pre-employment skill test score.
- Post-secondary secretarial or office management training is desirable.
- Meets all mandated health requirements at the time of hire.
- A record free of criminal violations that would prohibit public school employment.
- Complies with drug-free workplace rules and board policies.
- Bookkeeping skills and the ability to compute mathematical data accurately.
- Congenial telephone etiquette.
- Multitasking ability and strong diplomacy skills.
- Proficient in office protocol and the use of information technology systems.
- Proficient in data entry, spelling, proofreading, and the correct use of grammar.
- Proficient in the use of computer software and maintenance of office records.
Essential Functions: The following are typical work responsibilities. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform essential functions.
- Performs secretarial and administrative support duties. Takes the initiative to perform routine tasks independently. Organizes and maintains functional computer and hard copy filing systems that ensures the safe retention and efficient retrieval of records.
- Upholds board policies and follows administrative procedures.
- Promotes a professional image of the school district. Supports community partnerships that enhance district programs and services.
- Respects personal privacy. Maintains the confidentiality of privileged information.
- Answers the telephone. Directs calls based on the nature of the inquiry. Takes/delivers messages. Manages calls efficiently to keep telephone lines open.
- Maintains an office calendar. Schedules appointments as directed.
- Acknowledges visitors. Determines the reason for their visit. Answers questions. Verifies appointments. Directs visitors to the appropriate person or office.
- Prepares message boards, displays, and bulletin boards as directed.
- Keeps current with program, policy, and procedure changes. Helps keep students, parents, and staff informed about relevant issues.
- Uses tact and problem-solving techniques to address customer service concerns.
- Refers inquiries requiring policy interpretation to administrative staff.
- Helps communicate information about weather delays and program cancellations.
- Uses a computer to prepare and process information (e.g., input, compile, tabulate, post, store, retrieve, scan, modify, print, etc.).
- Verifies the accuracy of database information as directed.
- Composes and types routine correspondence, memos, notes, forms, etc.
- Enters the athletic schedule into the computer. Prints and distributes schedules.
- Types team rosters. Prepares grade-period eligibility reports. Verifies attendance requirements. Reports information to coaches.
- Prepares a list of game officials and workers. Schedules and confirms assignments. Maintains records and processes time sheets.
- Prepares information for the Ohio High School Athletic Association as directed.
- Helps prepare game programs, brochures, public service announcements, etc.
- Updates athletic handbooks.
- Ensures that medical authorization forms are provided for all sports.
- Helps coordinate athletic program activities (e.g., student/parent orientation sessions, recognition activities, staff in-service programs, etc.).
- Helps arrange transportation and lodging for sanctioned activities away from home.
- Maintains an inventory of ticket stock. Helps with pre-game ticket sales.
- Prepares game reports. Ensures that receipt and expense records are suitable for audits. Prepares and makes bank deposits.
- Maintains an assignment record for athletic department keys.
- Helps maintain fixed asset records. Updates athletic department inventories and prepares an end-of-year report.
- Keeps attendance policy information updated. Helps ensure that attendance policies and procedures are uniformly enforced.
- Authenticates student requests to be dismissed during school hours. Processes late arrivals. Collects attendance forms. Prepares absentee list.
- Furnishes passes for students to re-enter class after absences and tardiness.
- Calls parents or guardians when the school has not been notified about an absent student. Mails written notification when contact cannot be established.
- Prepares daily attendance records. Keeps the principal and guidance staff informed about chronic absenteeism, tardiness, and truancy concerns.
- Verifies student attendance information for report cards.
- Collects, compiles, edits, and types statistical data and reports as directed.
- Uses photocopying and duplicating equipment to reproduce documents. Fixes minor equipment malfunctions and contacts vendors to schedule repairs as needed.
- Maintains office transaction records (e.g., petty cash, receipts, contributions, etc.).
- Processes mail and faxes (i.e., incoming, outgoing, and interoffice).
- Types, duplicates, assembles, and processes routine and special mailings.
- Helps gather information and types grant/foundation proposals as directed.
- Assists with committee assignments and/or special projects as directed.
- Prepares purchase orders as directed. Maintains procurement information (e.g., transmittal letters, contracts, confirmations, warrants, price agreements, etc.).
- Monitors and reorders office supplies to maintain reliable service levels.
- Maintains forms related to administrative procedures and program functions.
- Keeps files and supplies properly stored to maintain an orderly office.
- Periodically discards archived records as directed. Follows the records retention and disposal schedule adopted by the board.
- Takes precautions to ensure staff/student safety. Reports concerns to an administrator.
- Reports suspected child abuse and/or neglect to civil authorities as required by law.
- Keeps current with advances in office technology. Updates office procedures.
- Places calls for maintenance and repair services as directed.
- Cross-trains with other support staff as directed. Offers assistance when needed.
- Participates in staff meetings and professional growth opportunities as directed.
- Accepts responsibility for personal conduct.
- Maintains a professional appearance. Wears work attire appropriate for the position.
- Strives to develop rapport and serves as a positive role model for others.
- Performs other specific job-related duties as directed.
Abilities Required: The following characteristics and physical skills are important for the successful performance of assigned duties.
- Demonstrates professionalism and contributes to a positive work environment.
- Performs prescribed activities efficiently with limited supervision.
- Reacts productively to interruptions and changing conditions.
- Effectively uses listening, observation, reading, verbal, nonverbal, and writing skills.
- Completes paperwork accurately. Verifies and correctly enters data.
- Maintains an acceptable attendance record and is punctual.
Working Conditions: Employees are expected to comply with health/safety laws and district policies/procedures. Workers should exercise good judgment and caution when involved in the following situations:
- Duties that require lifting, carrying, and moving work-related supplies/equipment.
- Duties that require operating and/or riding in a vehicle.
- Duties that require traveling to meetings and work assignments.
- Duties that require performing repetitive tasks quickly.
- Duties that require prolonged use of a computer keyboard and monitor.
- Duties that require bending, crouching, kneeling, reaching, and standing.
- Duties that require working under time constraints to meet deadlines.
- Exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature extremes.
- Exposure to blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases.
- Interaction with aggressive, disruptive, and/or unruly individuals.
Performance Evaluation: Job performance is evaluated according to the policy provisions adopted by the Madison Local School District Board of Education.
The Madison Local School District Board of Education is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, or disability. This job description is subject to change in response to funding variables, emerging technologies, improved operating procedures, productivity factors, and unforeseen events.